Metal spraying is a technology which improves or restores the surface of a solid material. The process can be used to apply coatings to a wide range of materials and components, to provide resistance to: Wear, erosion, cavitation, corrosion, abrasion or heat. Metal spraying is also used to provide electrical conductivity or insulation, lubricity, high or low friction, sacrificial wear, chemical resistance and many other desirable surface properties. The process is predominantly used for anti-corrosion, surface modification/enhancement and rebuilding engineering dimensions.
Engineering Metal Sprayed coatings cover rebuilding dimensions and surface enhancement coatings. Though the main feature of the Metal Spray process is the ability to return specified dimensions, a Surface Enhancement coating can provide enhanced performance by applying a more desirable, better performing material onto an out of tolerance surface. Examples include, but are not limited to: anti-spark, chrome replacement, non-stick, reclamation, thermal barrier, wear resistant and grip coatings. Applying coatings to new components also gives added benefits, which is why Automotive and Aerospace vehicles are lighter in weight, more energy efficient, yet withstand their harsh operating environments. Components can become "out of tolerance" as a result of abrasive, corrosive or adhesive wear, physical abuse (bent journals, scratches, dents etc.), process defects (surface blemishes or casting imperfections), as well as machining or processing errors.
- Aerospace - Electrical heater elements, abradable coatings, turbine blades, discharge nozzles, fuel pump components, landing gear and many more.
- Pulp & Paper Industries - Deflectors, paper mill cylinders, foils, yankee dryers, rewinder rollers, pump shafts and many more.
- Automotive - Piston rings, disk rotors, cylinder bores, crankshafts, brake shoes, diaphragm springs, body panels, exhaust pipes and many more.
- Electrical - Armature shafts, capacitors, transformers, pylons, carbon resistors and many more.
- Mining - Hydraulic pistons & plungers, digging arms, crusher teeth, suspension system components, bucket lips, pump impellors and many more.